Tuesday, April 16, 2024

St. Louis County Public Library

I walked into the building
built three years after I was
and found it hadn't changed
from the place of clean smells
The yellowing paper and book glue

Only perhaps sunken into the marshy
Land they built it on.
But no, I know I grew
And it stayed level
because I saw a boy walk up to me
when we mixed our strides
Both pulled from different thoughts

And something mixed besides
As I stopped to let him
run around me

I watched him stumble-run
into an alcove and kneel upon a chair
to watch the glass
Behind the glass were fishes
They floated through the water
Like a bird does in the air
Or a man does when he's free
Or thinks he is

I watched him stare and
We lost track of
Where and who he was
I know he only saw the fishes
Swimming noiselessly through water
Making bubbles

And I know I felt appropriately warm
As in some Winter when
I came inside this building
Stumble-tracking snow
And stared into a glass in
Front of fishes

As incandescent yellow lights burn
And I could only see a boy
And he can only watch a box of water
He dreamed himself inside and I in him.

No comments: